Tasty Tuesday - Cheese Ravioli Bake

I got this recipe off another blog ages ago. And while I don't make this all that often, I do make it consistently - which is really saying something for me.

The biggest reason I don't make it all the time is my anti-spinach/anti-tomato husband. But sometimes, I just want this delcious dish so bad that I selfishly say, "I don't care if you don't like spinach or tomatoes, this is what we're having for dinner." And you know what, it's so cheesy-good, he eats it with a smile.

Cheese Ravioli Bake

2T butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28oz.) can diced tomatoes
2T coarsely chopped fresh basil
1/3c heavy cream (or ½ and 1/2)
Salt & pepper
2 (8oz.) packages fresh cheese ravioli
1 (6oz.) package fresh baby spinach
1c shredded mozzarella cheese

Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot for cooking pasta. Meanwhile, heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease shallow 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.

Melt 2T butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook until thickened and almost dry, about 10 minutes. (At this point, I also use my potato masher and break up the tomatoes a little more, so the pieces aren’t so big for the non-tomato lover.) Stir in basil and cream and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add 1T salt and ravioli to boiling water and cook until al dente (typically about 4-7 minutes). Add spinach to pot with pasta just before it is done and stir until wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain pasta and spinach, return to pot, and stir in tomato sauce. Transfer to baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and back until top is golden, about 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers