Here’s the update:
She was 8lbs 2oz (21%) at her one month doctor’s appointment, and 21 inches long (42%). At her appointment, in true Peanut fashion, she screamed her head off the whole, entire time. The doctor was a little worried, but at this point, I’m so used to the screaming that I have trouble reacting to it now. She was given a prescription for an acid reflux medicine – which we’ve been on now for about 2 weeks. I’ve also cut out dairy from my diet, and starting yesterday – after a massive breakdown – I called the doctor and she’s now on a second reflux medicine.
For the most part I think all the screaming is from the reflux. The poor little thing just feels lousy. On her good days she eats every three hours now, and once she went a whole six hours. On her roughest days/nights she’s eating every two hours – and wanting to more – but it’s a vicious cycle, because the nursing helps her feel better, but the eating just makes her feel worse.
It’s been six weeks now, and we’re all pretty worn out. J and I have taken turns melting down and giving in to the fatigue. He has gone so far as to swear off any future children – but I’m not ready to go that far!
I have high hopes that this new medicine will actually help. The first 12 hours have been an improvement for sure... and if she’s just a colicky baby, then well, I guess they say that peaks at six weeks, so I have high hopes that will get better too.
On the bright side, Bug is an AMAZING big sister. She is so helpful and so sweet. She likes to say “Baby loves me.” And we’ve seen a few smiles here and there in the midst of all the tears from little Peanut too.
So we’re hanging in there. And one of these days I’ll post some pictures.



No comments:
Post a Comment