I believe it's pronounced "E-sca-pe"

On the eighth day of living with my parents Bug learned how to throw herself out of her pack ‘n play.

She is usually very happy to go to bed, but on this particular evening she was dead-set against it.

She screamed and thrashed about as only a toddler can, and we put her into her “bed” (she’s sleeping in the pack ‘n play until we move to the new house) anyway and told her goodnight and let her continue to scream.

A few minutes later, walking past her room – she’s still screaming violently – I notice the door shaking and momentarily worried that the house had a poltergeist.

No. Just Bug banging on the door to get out, because she hiked her little leg up over the side of the pack ‘n play and threw her little body onto the floor to escape.

So I went back in, and tried to calm her down. At this point she was pretty inconsolable, but I did what I could, and when I saw that she was breathing once again I put her back into the pack ‘n play.

This time, I stood outside the door and waited to see what she would do.

Minutes later I hear a “thud” – still screaming – and the door began to rattle again.

She seems to mostly just throw herself out – and I do mean throw, because she definitely is not big enough to gracefully climb out – of the pack ‘n play when she’s very, very upset - which isn’t so very often.

Although, two mornings later I was rudely awakened by a little face in mine that said “Mama!” and scared me half to death. This time she had managed to climb out without the screaming and stealthily get her little self out of the room and into our room – all with paci and blankie in hand.

3 comments:

Mike & Biz said...

I just asked Katie last night if you'd had any more incidents. What a little gymnast!!!

Sarah (Frederick) Kim said...

She so reminds me of my daughter, who at 16 months, leaned out of her crib and tipped the dresser completely over. We had to put her into a toddler bed at 18 months because she was destroying herself jumping out of the crib. And the attitude....yep, girls are definitely harder to deal with than boys, at least in our experience! I've definitely been "that mom" who's running out of the store with a screaming toddler. Or had my dear 2 year old lie down screaming in the store parking lot. Been there, done that. Girls! I think it's payback, I'm sure my mother is laughing about it all.

The Rausch's said...

Bug has been keeping you on your toes lately!!! See you soon!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers