One of My Prouder Moments

I don’t really remember how old I was. I was less than 12, but older than 8 – old enough to know better.

For some reason I was playing in the snow in our backyard and no one else was with me. I was probably just the last one to come in. Which is surprising, because I have always been a whiner, and the first one to say “I’m cold,” five minutes after we worked so hard to get all geared-up in our winter duds, and ready to be done sledding after the first time down.

I went to our back-door and it was locked, so I banged on the storm door and waited for my mom to come let me in.

I remember feeling like she took a really long time, and staring at that storm door for awhile. I pressed my nose against the glass looking for my mom, and then kind of trance-like started staring at the door.

It all happened in my memory in slow-motion. After staring at the storm door for what seemed like forever, without really thinking about it, I just kept leaning in, and finally just stuck my tongue out – again, thinking was not really happening here, except for a moment of wondering what the door would taste like.

So I stuck my tongue on the door. The metal door.

And it stuck.

And I panicked.

Because, it was really and truly stuck. I had visions on the top layer of my tongue being ripped off and never being able to taste again. I was certain that we were going to have to call 911 and they would have to remove the door, and take the door and I away in an emergency vehicle for immediate surgical removal.

And I can only imagine what my poor mother though when she came to the back door, only to find her 8 or 12 year old adhered to the storm door by her tongue. Bottom stuck out behind her, and arms flailing about like that was going to help the situation.

I vaguely remember her face, and it looking very surprised and concerned. Possibly about my mental health.

I also remember being very impressed when she quickly ran to the kitchen for warm water, ran around the house and poured the warm water down the door, which instantly un-stuck my poor tongue – without loosing any taste buds.

Thanks mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my girl. :-)

Love,
Dad

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers