Paci Free

Today marks day nine of Bug's life without* a paci.

In the grand scheme of things, I think we've made it over the hump (knock on wood). We've made it through every major event now that might require a paci (MOPS, church nursery, restaurant, shots, grocery store...) and only had a few loud moments, and one major melt down requiring us to leave the grocery store as fast as humanly possible.

I think its much harder for me than her. It solidifies that she's not a baby any more, and it only makes her seem more like a toddler. And it requires that I listen to her a little more intently and watch for those signs of melt-down a little closer, because I don't have the paci to pop in her mouth when she doesn't get her way, or just plain needs a nap.

It has also made us have more "time outs".

Not those kind of time outs, like she's in trouble. But she's a very emotional little gal, and needs plenty of moments to collect herself as she swiftly moves from happy - no, giddy, to maniac-having-a-melt-down. And when before, the paci might have helped with the loudness of these moments, now we calmly explain to her why she isn't allowed to have the knife/toothpaste/hot pan/glass of wine, and sit her in her "time out space" to collect herself and calm down. Then we walk away and tell her she's welcome to join us in the other room when she's ready.

Usually, within a few moments she's all better and smiling happily.

But she's SIXTEEN MONTHS OLD! (And really, this has been going on for about two months. We just took the paci away and amplified it.) This strong-willed child is smart and crafty, and loud and boisterous, and not even and year-and-a-half-old, and I'm putting her in time out!?

I believe J and I are both getting the payback our mothers warned us about... and goodness knows what else is in store.

This strong-willed temper is exactly what started the anti-paci thing to begin with. She insisted -and screamed for nearly an hour- on eating in her high chair with her paci and blankie (which she knew was clearly forbidden). I didn't force her into the chair, just told her she had to get rid of the paci to get into the high chair and eat - just the thought of giving it up, sending her into hysterics.

After about 30 minutes of this, I finally just took it away and put her in the high chair to eat, where she sobbed, and proceeded to turn purple with rage. Of course, the moment her grandparents walked in the house, so J and I could go on a much needed date, she instantly stopped and was her happy self. *Gah!*

At that moment, I put my foot down, and decided that the paci was one thing we could control, and I would not be having a battle of wills over it with a 16 month old.

Phew. What next?




*OK, so technically she is still allowed to have it in the crib (but not until she is actually in the crib), and in her carseat.

3 comments:

thegroves said...

A MAJOR milestone that I'm not looking forward too! Way to go Mama!

Diva said...

When my sister was her age, we began trimming her pacifier with scissors, taking off a mm each week. It was funny how she didn't notice or care at first and then soon it was so short she couldn't suck on it and would walk around holding it to her mouth. Eventually that was too much effort and she just gave up. It never occurred to her that we were the ones trimming her much beloved binky! Good luck! :)

Mike & Biz said...

My favorite was when she sucked on the baby doll's tic tac of a pacifier because she knew what it was and wanted one for herself.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers