Tasty Tuesday - Updated Carmel Apple Crisp

Originally posted September 4, 2007, this recipe was good then, but I've made it over and over again, modified it a bit, and it's even better now.

...Nothing says fall more than apples and caramel!

Caramel Apple Crisp

8c. peeled and thinly sliced tart apples
1 1/4. old fashioned oats
2c. flour
1 1/2c. + 1T. packed brown sugar
1t. + 1/2t. cinnamon
1/2t. nutmeg
1c. cold butter
1 (14oz.) pkg. caramels, unwrapped
1/3 c. evaporated milk (it won't ruin it if you don't have evaporated and just use regular)

Combine evaporated milk and caramels in a saucepan over low heat until smooth.

Coat apples in 1T brown sugar and 1/2t. cinnamon.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Press 1/2 mixture into a greased 9"x13" baking dish.

Layer with all the apples, then all the caramel sauce, and then remaining oat mixture.

Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

2 comments:

Mike & Biz said...

I confirm that this recipe is FANTASTIC!!!! :)

Amy said...

I will certainly try the updated version of this recipe. When I made it a couple months ago my son ate nearly the entire thing!

Amy

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers